Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Being a sophomore pre-med student in the second semester of my senior year has been the second most challenging period of my life so far. If you want a taste of my daily life go draw a bunch of geometric figures and then draw some arrows from some points on those figures to other geometric figures and then explain why that certain point attacked the other certain point. It doesn't seem like fun does it?
Well it wasn't much fun and didn't seem like worth it until spring break. I went on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua with the TCU chapter of Global Medical Training (GMT). The short story of GMT is that you get to go to deserving countries and get a taste of what it is like to practice medicine. This experience has been by far the most educational experience I have had thus far. I got to do things that are not allowed in the US until the third year of medical school. From examining skin rashes, to taking blood pressure, to pulling teeth, I got to be a quasi doctor for 5 days.
One patient in particular stood out to me. The first patient on our third day of clinic was a little, wrinkly old lady complaining of only back pain. To only have back pain for an 83 year old woman who has worked her entire life, had 11 children, and walks 1 mile to get water is amazing. Her name was Ana and to me she was beautiful. As we waited for the "real" doctor to come over so we could present Ana's case to him, I noticed she had her long, grey hair tightly braided. My hair was free flowing in the wind and was bothering me so I decided to ask the translator to ask Ana if she would braid my hair for me. Ana thought it was the funniest thing that I wanted her to braid my hair, but she did it anyways.

After the clinic was over, I noticed Ana was still in the area sitting on the side of the road alone. I went over to her with a translator and started a conversation. I learned she lived about 2 miles away and had come to the clinic with her grand child and great grand child. She went on to tell me that she had a total of 34 great grand children!
Throughout the day Ana had been thanking all of the GMT staff, telling us we were a blessing from God, and bestowing her own blessings upon us. This meant a lot to me and all of the GMT staff. It is amazing that these people are so happy with the way they live yet we back home have 100 times as much as they do and we are not half as happy as them. The little time I had with Ana really resonated within me and I became bonded to her.

As we began to leave I felt a pinch in the bottom of my heart and began to cry. Ana was confused and asked why I was crying. I had a translator tell her that I was sad to leave. Then Ana told me something that I have heard many times before, but because it came from Ana it meant much more to me. She said with glowing eyes and ecstatic arm movements, "Young lady, do not cry! You are a child of God and God gives you strength. I have had a happy life because of God and I hope he gives you a happy life as well. You have been such a blessing on this community and I hope you return some day."
I learned this spring break that those who have the least are those that love the most. Thank you Ana.


4 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post. Thanks! Your comments and photos touched my heart. Thanks for introducing me to Ana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in the same exact situation as you -- Biology/Second Semester Sophomore/Stressed -- I can totally relate to the stress and challenge you're being faced with in your life. Having the opportunity to be a quasi doctor for 5 days must of been incredible, especially since during all this time of stress and questioning our life decisions, you were reminded of why you chose this major and career path in the first place. People like Anna are the reason we are going through this pain and utter misery right now, because we want to improve the lives of the people who aren't as fortunate as us. I am truly so happy for you that you got to experience and embrance such an incredible opporunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was so heart-warming. I have never left the United States, so I've never had the chance to experience something as life changing as your experiences in Nicaragua. I can imagine that learning about everything in a lecture hall and actually doing field work is a world of difference. I completely appreciate the fact that you asked her to braid your hair becuase during cross country season, I was "that girl" that always asked to get her hair braided. Not only does the braid look phenomenal, but your story and experiences are phenomenal. Ana seems like she has seen so much in her 83 years, and it seems like she was abe to share some of that life experience with you. It's truly crazy to think about how privelaged Americans are, yet so unappreciative of what we have. Imagine Ana's reaction if she got to see TCU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things about this story that I love. First, I am so jealous that you were able to be a quasi doctor for five days and were able to get a hands on medical experience. Second, the experience you shared with this woman is incredible. I'm glad after you met her, you were able to once again remind yourself the true rewards of practicing in the medical field and the main goal: helping people. I hope that one day I am able to change someones life for the better in the way that you did with Ana. I'm sure she will never forget you!

    ReplyDelete